I wanted to start this blog to give back to the many blogs that my husband and I read during our journey to adopt a Vizsla. Those blogs not only helped confirm our decision to adopt a Vizsla, but also have helped us understand the many stages of puppyhood - what's normal and what's not. Plus - who doesn't want to see pictures of a Vizsla?!

Ildi is a Hungarian Vizsla who was born Nov.4, 2009 and joined our Calgary household in Jan. 2010 at 11 weeks old.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

March 6: learnings

so I realize that I don't stop and think about the things that Ildi doesn't do anymore or rather has grown out of. And they're all things that drove us nuts and we wished she would stop doing -turns out that with many of those things, she did stop doing. So there is hope! and that hope gets me through the days when she's picked up new bad habits and I wonder if (eating the plants in my backyard, for example) will ever stop.

The 'not good things' she's stopped doing:
- chewing our hands, fingers, arms constantly. She still does it every once in awhile; usually when she's tired - she's like a little kid, she gets to be a real nuisance when she's due for a nap. We call it "going moray eel" as she looks like one the way she swings her open jaws everywhere :)
- she's stopped chewing on chair legs
- she's stopped chewing up the rug. We actually don't even normally have a rug in the kitchen (still the only room she's allowed in loose), but she was running around and sliding so much that we were worried it would cause hip displaysia so we bought a cheap area rug to prevent her from sliding into walls. She used to just chew on it and try to take it apart thread by thread. I think it been a few weeks since she's done that!
- no more bathroom trips outside in the middle of the night!
- dare I say she's house trained - we haven't had any accidents in the house for about a month and she regularly 'rings the bell' when she wants to go out.

but thankfully she still likes to nap with us! :) here's a picture of her and Chad napping.




oh - and today I think she may have eaten a dead mouse. I can't be certain as she has her mouth in everything when we're out for a walk. But for some reason, this time, I thought 'oh god, that's a mouse'. I don't know if I'm more scared about what eating a mouse could do to her or that if she's throw it up and there would be a mouse in my house!
and that reminds me - will there be a time when she won't put EVERYTHING in her mouth that she finds outside?

next posting will be about all the new habits she's started in on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment